Why Invest Time in a Move-Out Cleaning?
Dedicating time to cleaning your home before moving out can benefit you in multiple ways. To start, leaving your home in good condition can help you get your full security deposit back. You’ll also have peace of mind knowing the next tenants will be moving into a clean and inviting space.
Additionally, it is also important to know that some letting agents require references from past landlords. If you don’t invest time in move-out cleaning and leave your home in a poor condition, you may ruin your chances of securing a home you really want in the future.
To avoid running into problems, such as not getting your security deposit back or not getting a good reference from your previous landlord, it is practical to invest time in a thorough move-out cleaning.
How Much Time Should You Set Aside for a Move-Out Cleaning?
Because a move-out cleaning requires more detailed work than a typical cleaning, it may take you several hours or even a few days. Below are some factors you need to consider when setting aside time for a move-out cleaning.
The Size of Your Home
The amount of time you’ll need for a move-out cleaning will highly depend on the size of your home. Below is a general breakdown of the estimated time you should set aside to clean your home before moving out.
- Studio: 90 minutes
- One-bedroom: 2.5 to 3 hours
- Two-bedroom: 4 to 4.5 hours
- Three-bedroom: 5 to 5.5 hours
- Four-bedroom: 6 to 6.5 hours
- Five-bedroom: 7 hours
How Clean Your Home Is
If you have always been meticulous about cleaning your home on a regular basis, you’ll likely have less dirt, dust, and other debris to clean up. Less mess to clean up means less time you’ll have to spend on cleaning before you move out.
“It’s a lot easier to clean small amounts of clutter every day than big piles less often.” - Angi
Pet Stains and Debris
If you have a pet at home, you may have to spend more time cleaning before your move-out, especially if your pet sheds a lot.
When cleaning up pet messes, DLL Cleaning Services recommends to “consider renting a carpet cleaner from a nearby hardware or grocery store but never a steam cleaner. Steam will permanently set the stain (and its odor) by bonding proteins from the stain to the man-made fibers.”
Lingering Smoke Odor
If you or a household member smokes, cleaning may also take more time since you’ll need to neutralize the smoke odor to keep the air fresh and clean.
According to First Coast Home Pros, "lingering cigarette smoke can cause you to lose your deposit or can bring down what your residence is worth."
Tips to Make Your Move-Out Cleaning More Efficient
- Set aside enough time: Consider how many days you have left before the actual day of your move-out and then estimate the amount of time a thorough move-out cleaning will take. By having a better idea of how much time you’ll need to spare for a move-out cleaning, you can set a realistic schedule and have plenty of time to get set up in your new home.
- Use a move-out checklist: The most efficient way to carry out a proper move-out cleaning — besides knowing how long a move-out cleaning takes — is to have a move-out cleaning checklist. This will help you get organized and finish your tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Get the right cleaning supplies: Having the right cleaning tools and equipment is vital for proper move-out cleaning. It will save you time, frustration, and the risk of damaging the surfaces or appliances in your home.
Professional vs DIY Move-Out Cleaning
If you simply don’t have enough time, energy, or cleaning supplies, hiring a professional move-out cleaning service may be the best choice for you.
Move-out cleaning services are carried out by expert cleaners who provide detailed and thorough cleaning. By hiring a professional, you won’t need to set aside your own time for a move-out cleaning.
Instead, you’ll be able to focus on other move-out tasks such as packing, disconnecting utilities, mail forwarding, setting up your new space, and more.
Save Time With a Move-Out Cleaning Service
Leaving your move-out cleaning to the experts will help make your moving experience as smooth and worry-free as possible.
Moveout.com provides a marketplace of professional move-out cleaners, so let us help you find a trusted cleaning service near you.